Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Music, The Best Distraction

I don't have anything earth shattering to share today. It's cold. It's rainy. It's windy. It's April. :::shrug::: I'm uninspired. There are a few things from the music world I'm kind of obsessing about right now, so I will share.

  • The new Death Cab For Cutie cd, Codes And Keys, is coming out soon, soon, soon!!! They did this amazing thing - they filmed the video for their single "You Are A Tourist" in a live, single take. It was scripted and had multiple cameras, and they streamed the taping of it live as they filmed. It was tres cool to watch while they made history, and I love, love, love the song.


  • I'm also loving me some Laura Jansen. She opened for Joshua Radin when I saw him in Indianapolis in February, and she's amazeballs. Her cd, Bells, was released March 22, and it's one of those I-don't-have-to-skip-a-single-song albums. (That's right, I said album. Shoot me.) It's also one of those I-only-sing-along-when-I'm-alone jobs, because... well, just because. Here's one of her videos:


  • To say I'm obsessed with itunes is, frankly, a stretch. I mean, it's been around long enough that the novelty is kinda gone... right? WRONG! They just keep making things easier, better, more fabulous for us. Remember hearing that your favorite artist had a new cd being released and you had to run out to the store to pick it up the day it was released before they sold out? ...or is that just me? Anyway, no worries and no waiting... itunes has this pre-sale feature. In all likelihood they've had it for a good long while and I've just ignored it. That's beside the point. The important thing is that's how I got Laura Jansen's new one, will get Death Cab's new one, and just got Paul Simon's new one. (Did you know he has a new album? I'm saving it for work, since my job is so friggin boring that it makes me want to... well, shoot myself in the face is drastic... let's just say I'm eagerly anticipating the tax season being over so my job is done.) All that to say, I'll let you know about Mr Simon's latest venture when I hear it.) The other cool thing about the presale feature is you get some of the songs before the release date... Death Cab is giving me about four, I think, over the course of several weeks. Awesome.

  • While we're on the topic of itunes, one of my complaints is when one of my cds comes up as "Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, Track OMG how do I not have the title of the song, Track 5..." I have spent many an hour listening to a song, trying to snag a phrase or sentence out of it and then googleing the line with the word "lyrics" so I could find out the title of the song and sometimes even the artist. It was slow, it was frustrating and it was time consuming. It was such a commitment that the last time I had to reload my music (with four new computers over time and a couple viruses, it wasn't a one-time event) I skipped alot of my music and only uploaded those that have the names. Then along came the Shazam app.

I'm telling you, those of you without apps are missing out. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I wasn't missing what I hadn't been exposed to, but this has changed my life. Don't think "Oh, Missy... you're being so dramatic. It hasn't 'changed your life.'" Oh, but it has, dear reader, it has. It a nutshell, you play a little bit of the song and Shazam tells you the artist, title, album it's on, as well as other information. If you're listening to the radio or it's just a song you don't own, you can get it from itunes on.the.spot. It's not a new app, since it's been around since 2002, but it's fantastic. Thanks to Shazam, my itunes is looking all organized and shiny... and it makes me very, very happy.

Well, I guess that does it for today. I'm off to work to try and distract the boringness of the experience with the wonderful tunes awaiting me on my ipod.

Happy listening, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment